Saturday, January 26, 2013

Meanwhile...

I'm working on Christmas.
That's right. Christmas. I have purchased 3 gifts, and I'm in the process of knitting 2 more. I worked out my list of people I want to have gifts for by December and it added up to 40 people. I figured if I could get 3 presents out of the way every month then I will be good to go. (Just so long as I don't end up giving said presents early, like I did last year.)
So what am I knitting this month?

Notice how I snuck my sweater in again?
I think I wear it every single day.
Fingerless gloves for my sister- she has rheumatoid arthritis and I've knitted her a pair of wrist-warmers for the last 2 years. Why break the tradition with so many lovely shades of pink to choose for her? This year the yarn (a self-striping wool blend) was a delightful surprise. It was a gift from my boyfriend, in return for knitting him a little bag (.... which I didn't actually knit yet.) and it's JoAnn Sensations Bamboo Ewe. The colorway makes me really happy, and I think after I finish these Simple Ribbed Handwarmers (The best free pattern for when you've started a sock and realized your yarn isn't superwash!) I might have to get a few more balls to make myself something too. But realistically I have so much yarn I should probably make some room first.

So I have one glove down, and the start of the second in my purse. It's just perfect for portability so I work on it on my lunch break, but 2 by 2 rib is so boring to knit! So I have a little side project at home next to the couch:

Knitted in Lion Brand Wool Ease on US 4 needles, this sweater is just being made up as I go. It's for one of my nieces, who is thankfully around the same size as I am. This is just a simple stockinette sweater with two ten-stitch cables running down the front together. It's perfect for unwinding after a long, stressful day at work. After adding the long sleeves I'm planning on adding a cowl or shawl collar. Definitely some kind of fun collar! But my dumb niece has a birthday coming up in February and I'm not entirely positive I can keep this one secret if it's done by then. It's supposed to be next year's Christmas gift but I'm AWFUL about keeping presents from their recipients. But Christmas has continued to be a failure from my end because I just can't get everyone a gift in the last 3 months. So hopefully I can hide it in the trunk of my car or something and forget about it entirely.

So that's what I'm up to- that and working a whole lot.
Do you feel like you have to get a head-start on next Christmas?

5 comments:

  1. I admire your commitment to knitted gifts. Good luck! Gorgeous purple on that sweater :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, 40 people...! That's some love and dedication! I try to keep my giftmas knitting down to a handful of people, so I can just start Thanksgiving weekend and not stress out too much :)

    The mitt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your determination to knit a whole sweater like every single week. I've been knitting for almost thirteen years, and still have yet to tackle a sweater. I just can't find a pattern that I want to commit to. I might cobble together a few different patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got yarn this weekend so I can start on Christmas knitting. Good to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one clever knitting goddess! Love those ribbed mitts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥