Saturday, November 24, 2012

Solitaire Beret

As I'm sure you guessed, my mystery item was a hat. I mean, if it fit in a tub of water that small it had to be either a hat or cowl, right?


So I don't think I ever mentioned it but last week I finally acquired the book Weekend Hats by Cecily Glowik Macdonald and Melissa Labarre. I usually don't buy books that only have patterns inside, (I like technique and design books better) but since hats are quick and easy and there's a certain holiday coming up, I thought I might make an exception.


My favorite hats in the book are as follows:
1) Solitaire Beret (the one in this post)
2) Flyer Cap
3) Glashutte Hat
4) Leaves Long Beanie
5) Wanderer Cap

I couldn't resist the urge to cast on a new hat and, since I had just finished my son's sweater, I picked out my tippy top favorite and headed to the stash bin. And... well, Ok I admit it I found NO YARN AT ALL (in spite of the fact that I had to look through 4 bins of yarn in order to determine this) and ended up heading out to buy a skein. I had wanted a bright color but ended up with some (you guessed it) Paton's Classic Wool in "Plum Heather."


220 yards and I sat down, cast on and.... knit a freaking hat. Or, rather, I purled a freaking hat- not a whole ton of actual knitting in this pattern. Serious. I sat down and worked on it and worked on it and ignored everything else for several hours. I got up only to use the restroom, get some stitch markers and a post-it when I got to the cable, and to get my dpns when it was time to start shaping. 0_o
I think I was suffering knitting withdrawals.


I'm planning on knitting the Wanderer Cap next. ;)

4 comments:

Thank you for commenting ♥