Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 23.... of the Super Stitches Knitting Project

This week's swatches were:
1) Woven Brocade
2) Blackberry Stitch
3) Spine Stitch

Week 23 Swatches

SWATCH 1: Woven Brocade
My fear of this stitch pattern is what caused the week's delay for this blog post. The texture looks quite advanced in the book, and it has a 10 row repeat that didn't look easy.
Woven Brocade Swatch
Of course, once I cast on (22 sts- I didn't realize how small it would turn out) it ended up being a very easy pattern. In fact, more than half of the stitches aren't even worked! The way this pattern works is you yarn forward and then slip 3 stitches. Then when you bring the yarn back to it's normal place, you have carried that strand of yarn across the front of those three stitches. The zig zag effect is created by moving the slipped stitches over every row for 5 rows, and then the last 5 rows you move them back.
It is an interesting texture, and an easy effect to pull off, but it is not my favorite look and I don't think I'll be using it again any time soon. This stitch pattern would look best, I think, in a smooth merino/silk blend.

SWATCH 2: Blackberry Stitch
Similar to Trinity Stitch from last time, this is a bubbly stitch created by increasing stitches in one row and decreasing them in the next.
Blackberry Stitch Swatch
A simple 4 row repeat, this swatch went by quickly. I like the look of this stitch pattern, although I think the trinity stitch was easier because every even row was a purl row.

SWATCH 3: Spine Stitch
It took me a few rows before I got this one right. You can't tell because it's curling up at the bottom. (which is also why it is thumbtacked down- ghetto, I know, but that's how I roll.)
Spine Stitch
But once I did figure it out, it made a pretty little pattern. It kind of reminds me of fishtail braids, or overlapping upside down hearts. It is only a 2 row repeat, too, which is a definite plus.

That's it for this week! Next time I'll be working on:
1) Plaited Basket Stitch
2) Trellis Stitch
3) Pebble Stitch
Of which Plaited Basket looks the most exciting and Trellis looks the most troublesome.

I still have quite a ways to go into this book: I'm on page 97 out of 247. It is really taking a while and when I look forward in the book it is intimidating. On the other hand, when I look back at the pages I already did I feel a sense of accomplishment AND familiarity with the stitch patterns. It's really nice knowing which of these patterns I like and which ones I feel are too fussy to be worth it.

I've been kind of slacking on this project, I think because the stitch patterns are getting harder and I'm sorta kinda chickening out. Plus my pile of swatches that need ends weaving in has grown to monstrous proportions. It jumps out at me when I open the closet! I really have to spread them out and take a picture sometime; I'd like to see how much of a blanket I've got here.
Well, 'til next time:

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting ♥