Monday, September 5, 2011

A bit of a bump in the road....

I don't know why, but I seem to have lost my knitting mojo.
And I think it all goes back to the ringwood sweater.
See, that sweater was this big idea that I thought would end up being really really cool, and I imagined writing up this awesome pattern and everybody in the world loving it. Yes, I really thought that. Even though I was knitting it out of camel wool that is the color of a freaking pumpkin and the gauge was completely off for the stitch pattern I chose.
I clung to that belief.
I clung to it through frogging 1, 2, 3, 4, I lost track of how many times. Finally, I realized that this sweater was not going to be flattering, it was not going to look good on any person on the planet, I was not going to enjoy wearing it, and I certainly wasn't enjoying knitting it. I put it down for a while, but it loomed in my mind.
I think it loomed because it was so close to being done. Also, I spent quite a bit of money on the yarn. Even though it was on sale. I even went out and bought 6 extra skeins because I feared running out. Which, the only reason that was even a problem is because I cast on too many stitches in the first place.
I'm scared I'm going to finish the whole thing up and then have to rip it all back apart. And then have all this kinky, frogged, camel yarn. >_<
So then I started knitting small projects, finishing one new thing a day. But I knew that it was the damn sweater that was making me do it.
And now?
Now I don't even have the mojo.
It's gone.
I worked on some stuff today.
The orchid and fairy lights hat, for charity

my some cloudy day legwarmers.

The legwarmers are extremely discouraging, because the one that is done is actually not long enough for my taste. But, I went ahead and blocked it thinking it might grow and cast on the second one in the meantime. Now I see that it did NOT grow at all, and now I'm working on the second one before finishing the first one. Which seems utterly wrong to me.
I don't know, i'm sick of the yarn, the color, the stitch pattern, everything!
And the fairy lights hat isn't faring much better, because the pattern is kind of fiddly.
Normally when I hit a bump like this the answer is to cast on more things.
(usually a lot more things)
But today.... I don't know.
I actually spent 50 minutes working out today. I normally would have desperately clung to a sock. Or at least gone back to knitting after 20. But I just don't feel like knitting. It's totally bizarre and I hope it doesn't last long or I'll get into serious trouble!

Oh well. We'll see what happens. At least my interest in knitting hasn't waned; I've been listening to old Never Not Knitting Podcasts, which is something I've been meaning to get caught up on for a while. And of course I'm still hanging out on Ravelry.

It's that sweater.
I just know it.

1 comment:

  1. fuck the sweater! seriously. bury it deep in a closet or under a bed and try and forget about it. i'd be lying if i said i didn't have anything similar buried deep in the layers of mess in my room, haha. seriously. i have a blanket that is literally almost done and only needs to really just finish the round (its a rectangular granny square) and call it a day, but its been in that status for probably about 2 years...and...oh well.
    if it's that soul-sucking, it's so not worth it! if all you want to knit right now is small things, that's fine. sometimes its difficult to get in the mood to work on a more long-term project.
    if you are interested in making your own designs, why don't you start small? like hats, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting ♥